Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Change in the Weather

Wow. The Dow is not the only thing falling rapidly around here. The mercury plummeted mid-evening as a front of frosty wind blew in from the north. The bright blue sky and ton of sun we had this afternoon made me think it was warmer than it really turned out to be...When I left the warmth of my kitchen to head up the hill to pick up the kids, the wind hit me like a cold slap. I had to go back in and grab a sweater. Tonight it is suppose to freeze. As Robert reminded me, "It is November." Time to pull out the winter jammies, make some tea and make a fire in the den.

Just looked at my email. My editor of almost 20 years (!) informed me that as of Nov. 25, DNR (Daily News Record) will cease to publish. Women's Wear Daily will pick up and incorporate the men's news. Another Wow. DNR has been a mainstay of Seventh Avenue for a century. I have loved talking with the menswear designers and retailers over the years. What does all this mean for the dissemination of information? Jean told me she would call in the a.m. to discuss. Sad day for such a venerable paper. And I wonder aobut my friends who have worked there forever. More info tomorrow. Change is hard. Whether it is change in publishing or change in the weather.

No comments: