Sunday, October 12, 2008

Plastic Panic

They are gone. Every one of them...Every piece of poisonous plastic in the house as determined by Nat Geo's Green magazine. If you are a plastic cup or plate or bottle numbered with something other than 1, 2, 4, or 5 in a little triangle on the bottom, you have been removed and recycled. Polycarbonate plastic is usually that hard, clear plastic, which has been shown to accellerate puberty and a rash of other terrible things.

Sadly, that means every princess or spiderman or dora or bob the builder plastic cup my tykes grew up with will not be around to be handed down to potential grandchildren. Not sad because I want them to drink liquid with leached-out plastic poisons like my poor kids, but because they were so cute. If you missed all the studies that have come out recently on specifically bisphenol A (aka #7 ) plastics and how they are causing hormone upheavals and cancer, well I couldn't really blame you. I found the info BURIED on like page 65 of a Tuesday Dallas Morning News. The article really couldn't have been smaller or it would have been considered a classified ad. But there it was -- studies conclude plastics are not good. Specifically the plastics used in BABY BOTTLES!!!!!! Thank goodness I nursed my kids, but they did drink plenty of beverages out of the aforementioned cute little #7 glasses.

Oh and by the way, all those Ozarka bottles on top of the water coolers all around us -- the ones I ordered because I thought bottled water was better than our highly chlorinated municipal tap water...well, they are #7, too, and as clear and hard as any plastic could be. I guess I don't need to tell you we cancelled our Ozarka account...even though the customer service rep promised me their studies showed that #7 is just fine. I put a filter on the tap and we carry our own stainless steel or SIGG bottles of Mommy-filtered H2O.

I have always fed my kids so carefully...mostly organic, ONLY organic milk and mostly from cardboard containers, local eggs and meat, no sugar. So it really irritates me that I missed the plastic connection. Anyhow, for all of you who missed it, too, you can no longer plead ignorant. You have been warned. Check it out for yourself by googling bisphenol A or polycarbonate plastic.

No comments: