Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I'm so handy!

OK...quite excited. Today I not only climbed a ladder and cleaned out the dryer vent from the outside, I saved $160 by doing it. Of course, I had to tape a brush to end of a telescoping mop handle to create a tool to do this work. and I had to climb up and down the ladder a dozen times to actually do the deed properly ...but I did it! and collected a plastic grocery bag full of lint in the process. Where does all that lint come from? And if there is so much, why aren't my clothes thinner??

I followed this outdoor job with an inside one - I fixed the upstairs toilet. It kept flushing on its own...randomly...when no one was even near the bathroom. I went to the hardware store, explained the situation in my best plumber terminology and picked up a flapper thing for $2.50. I did have to put my hands into the water of the tank to take the old, yucky one off. That was a bit gross, though my husband assures me that water is clean. Then the hands plunged back in to put the new one. It took like five minutes and basically cost nothing. $2.50. I saved a plumbers house call of like $100.

Total savings today ...$260.

No comments: